11.1.10

Jacob's Golden Ladder Gets Slippery at the Top...

Stepping late here into the churning waters of the job market debate in history. Marc Bosquet has effectively critiqued the AHA’s data (and their “supply side” economic focus). One of the comments on Historiann’s blog added a pertinent point which is often overlooked in this long-running debate. Kathleen Lowrey said

“If you were 24 years old and choosing between a few years reading and writing and thinking on a self-chosen schedule vs. a 40 hour week yea until death as a cubicle critter, you might take the gamble of grad school, too. Cake now vs. no cake ever (cake being leisure time, self-direction, feeling one’s existence is meaningful, being surrounded by interesting like-minded people) — I’d probably make the same choice.”

The “cake now” vs “cake never” attraction of graduate school is, I believe, a strong factor. I certainly met PhD students who said that they only enrolled “because I got funding” and three years of salary (in the UK) was too good to turn down. Not to overgeneralise, but these were also people who seemed ambivalent (or flat out uninterested) in their academic research, and in a number of cases never finished anyway. So in a sense they got a free 3 year holiday: and when it’s offered like that (there is no punishment for not completing, for simply walking off at the end of the three years having taken the money and produced nothing), it’s hardly surprising people take it up. I also met people who – faced with (realistically) spending up to a year after their undergraduate degree looking for a job – decided to enrol for a Masters degree at the same time, so their “jobseeking” year also accrued them an additional qualification. Of course, if they were performing well in the Masters course they would be encouraged to apply for PhD places, and this is one track by which people end up in humanities PhD programs. It wasn’t their original plan, but when a funded opportunity appears, weighing that against scouring the want ads while living back with one’s parents makes a PhD sound like a pretty good option. In fact, at that post-BA stage, a funded PhD place can be the “bird in the hand” over the unknown outcomes of the general job market.

But the other element raised, that fresh graduates of 22 see their options as “wage slave” vs the intellectual world of academia, is a key one. The undercurrent in graduate school (at least as I experienced in the humanities) is that it is a noble vocation, an “independent” way of life (in the same sense of “indie” films versus blockbusters, and you can well imagine the kind of cultural snobbery that goes with it). People who left academia to pursue another job were described as “selling out”. So there is a strange contradiction, between an attitude that regards academia (in the humanities) as some kind of free, creative realm, but then turns around at the end to complain that the time spent in grad school did not provide a professional qualification that would lead directly to a job.

...and heaven’s walls too high to hear the trouble down below

Is some of the problem that (some) senior people don’t understand what the job market is like now? It seems hard to believe anyone could be unaware, but some of the advice circulating while I was a PhD student suggests that this really is the case. I knew people who simply applied for 12 hypercompetitive postdocs and were surprised not to get one, and senior profs who talked about Junior Research Fellowships and British Academy Postdocs as a natural progression, as if they were easy to come by.
I’ve also heard from people serving on search committees who were SURPRISED to get 100+ applicants for a position. How long ago was your last interaction with the job market if that’s a surprise?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Mark said...

Example of a clueless prof: I was asked recently why I was still adjuncting. Wasn't that something one only did between grad school and a tenure-track job? Why hadn't I moved on yet?

Another example: A then-recent PhD with a job in university administration was asked why he wasn't teaching. There were, after all, plenty of adjunct jobs. Wouldn't that be better? The profs asking seemed oblivious to the difference between earning a predictable salary with health insurance benefits and earning 1/2 to 2/3 that with no benefits and with occasional periods of no income at all.

12 January 2010 at 00:32  
Blogger Miriam Kenneth said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

18 January 2010 at 20:05  
Anonymous Katrina said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

18 January 2010 at 20:16  
Blogger Katrina said...

[I DELETED THE TWO COMMENTS ABOVE, CASEY'S AND MY REPLY, AND HAVE REPASTED BELOW. I WANTED TO SLIGHTLY EDIT CASEY'S POST, AND COULDN'T FIGURE OUT HOW ELSE TO DO IT. APOLOGIES, CASEY, BUT I'M RESPECTING YOUR ANONYMITY HERE SO LIKEWISE PLEASE. I AM SURE YOU UNDERSTAND]

CASEY wrote:

Ah, what a timely read. Just met with my College Tutor for the first time the other day, and he actually *told* me that a JRF would normally be the next step of an academic career for a UK PhD. Good thing I'm not so credulous.

On the other hand, those who do know about the job market may just become apathetic. If the students' chances of getting a job are so small, why even bother investing the effort into helping the students improve their chances of success?

Even after being subjected to both, I'm not sure whether I like the misguided optimism or the apathy better.

I REPLIED:

Well, depends if you're looking up or looking down. From the PhD student perspective, such a small proportion of them will land a JRF that it is not normal, or reasonable to regard as a likely outcome. From the senior Prof perspective, possibly you and a majority of your colleagues held JRFs. So it seems "normal", looking back.

Nonetheless, I think there is too little discussed about what is normal. I've been keeping track of some of the people who finished their PhDs at the same time as me, and am planning a post later this year on where everyone has ended up, 2 years on. (I can tell you right now, JRFs are not many. I think 3 people from my history cohort of 50 got one, and only 2 of those were stipendiary). But people have other jobs too, so I'm not seeing it as a doom & gloom report, just an observation that there are a myriad of different trajectories for an academic career (as well as pointing out that not everyone gets - or wants - an academic career either).

18 January 2010 at 21:18  
Blogger Miriam Kenneth said...

Of course I meant to identify *myself* before...not you. You're using your real name, so I thought I'd do likewise. Plus, I didn't want you to think I was some random, surf-by troll (though I did surf in and recognize you purely by chance). Apologies if it seemed I was threatening otherwise.

Back to the topic at hand: I can only speak to what I've been told, of course. This was not just about relative ideas of what "normal" means. The Tutor told me in no uncertain terms that the next step is a JRF (or similar, presumably), and in less than ten minutes, he was outlining the timetable to PhD completion apparently necessary for a JRF application. The message seemed unequivocal: If you want an academic career, this is what you do next. Period. Not, this is one great option. Also, the other PhD students I know said he told them the same thing.

My supervisor, though, isn't like this at all. He was insistent that I keep my options as open as possible, which for me includes networking back in the US, even though he doesn't think he can help me in that respect. I think he did mention the JRFs to me, but it was dismissively, cognitively filed under the "swell if you can get one but don't count on it" category.

18 January 2010 at 22:03  
Blogger Katrina said...

There are certain JRFs still limited to particular colleges, (as indeed many - all? - JRF competitions used to be), which gives people at those colleges a much better chance of achieving. So your tutor might not be so out of line, but even then he must know that not ALL his tutees get a JRF...
It certainly is a particular Oxbridge career model.

18 January 2010 at 22:08  
Blogger Miriam Kenneth said...

My college changed their JRF application rules (again?) this year. (Feel free to look online, just for grins. I did. :-P ) If there's a still bias in favor of the college's own students, it's unwritten--and they sure as heck aren't telling me about it!

Then again, there are quite a few things they never told me--the child need not be informed about the particulars of her care, etc.

Sorry, that last part was sarcastic. I'm scared of the future and trying to hide it with poorly chosen humor.

18 January 2010 at 23:12  
Blogger Katrina said...

Hi Casey - I don't know your email address, so please drop me a line (there's a contact button on my main website page), I may be able to give you some useful info.

18 January 2010 at 23:15  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home